BMW instrument cluster LCD display pixel failure repair ribbon cable KIT for E38 E39 M5 X5
**SILVER cable + repair VIDEO + needle removal tool**
BMW 3 series (E36), 5 series (E34, E39), 7 series (E38), 8 series (E31), X5 from 1988-2003 all have the common dead / fading / disappearing pixels on the dashboard instrument cluster / speedometer (also on the board computer) - on the large LCD display that shows valuable data such as the mileage and the on board computer messages. The LCD display pixel problem lies with the OBC ribbon cable that connects the LCD display to the circuit board of the instrument cluster. The pictures below show the speedo / instrument cluster's LCD display before and after the silver ribbon cable KIT replacement (just an example of several board computer / dashboard instrument cluster types):
You will find OBC LCD display ribbon cable KITs for the following models / units below:
--> BMW E31 MID
--> BMW E34 instrument cluster
--> BMW E36 MID
--> BMW E38 Air Conditioning (A/C) control unit
--> BMW E38 Multi information display MID (Also called as "On board computer / OBC")
--> BMW E38 / E39 / X5 instrument cluster (speedometer)
--> BMW E39 / X5 Multi information display MID (Also called as "On board computer / OBC")
1. Dashboard instrument cluster E38 / E39 / M5 / X5 / E53 pixel error repair with silver ribbon cable KIT:
The instrument cluster units in the BMW E38, E39 and X5 models from 1994-2003 are quite similar - (they were all produced by Siemens VDO) - using the same LCD and the same ribbon cable at all models. There are minor differences, like diesel or petrol powered ones, and also some speedos come with miles others with km/hrs, however the OBC LCD display and the ribbon cable is the same at all 5 series (E39) 7 series (E38) and X5 (E53) and M5 models. The unit looks like this:
2. On board computer LCD display (OBC) BMW E39 5 series / M5 / E53 X5 series pixel error repair with silver ribbon cable KIT:
The OBC unit on the MID console - also known as radio / telephone unit on BMW E39, X5, M5 models from 1996-2003 are identical, using the same OBC LCD and the same ribbon cable. There are minor differences, like one comes with telephone button, others are witout, however the LCD display and the ribbon cable is the same at all 5 series (E39) X5 (E53) and M5 models. The LCD display pixel failure picture is quite similar, please find the picture of the unit here:
3. On board computer LCD display (OBC) BMW E38 pixel error repair with silver ribbon cable KIT:
The OBC unit on the MID console - also known as radio / telephone unit on BMW E38 from 1994-2003 have the very common fading or missing pixels, lines, columns. Please find the picture of the unit here:
4. A/C (air coinditioning) unit - BMW E38 - pixel error repair with silver ribbon cable KIT:
The climate control unit LCD dsiplay on the MID console on BMW E38 from 1994-2003 have the very common fading or missing pixels, lines, columns. Please find the picture of the LCD below (this is one side of the unit - the actual one has to LCD's like the one on the picture):
5. E31 OBC (MID UNIT) display pixel failure repair with silver ribbon cable KIT:
BMW 8 series (E31), from1988-1999 all have the common disappearing/fading pixels on the on board computer LCD. The problem lies with the ribbon cable that connects the LCD display to the circuit board of the MID.
6. E34 instrument cluster pixel failre repair with silver ribbon cable KIT:
The dashboard instrument cluster in several BMW E34 models came with digital mileage display - both at diesel and petrol powered models. The LCD pixel failure picture is quite similar, please see the picture of the display here:
7. E36 OBC (MID UNIT) LCD display pixel failure repair with silver ribbon cable KIT:
BMW 3 series (E36), from1988-1999 all have the common disappearing / fading or completely dead LCD pixels on the board computer display. The problem lies with the ribbon cable that connects the LCD display to the circuit board of the MID. All 3 variants (8 / 11 / 16 buttons) are available.
Why do the BMW speedometer LCD displays fail with pixel failure? DIY Pixel repair helps with pixel failure? Well the BMW speedo manufacturers have a few minurtes only to produce a complete BMW speedo with LCD dispay and silver or carbon ribbon cable. Because of this, VDO Instrument Cluster manufacturer decied to assemble the BMW LCD display and the silver / carbon ribbon cable with heat bonding procedure. This BMW speedometer assembly design makes the contacts of the LCD display and the ribbon cable loose contact very fast, most cases in just a few years. This means, the BMW LCD display show pixel failures, it needs pixel repair, but both the silver ribbon cable and the BMW LCD display work well - only the connection of them is bad, tha is why you have LCD display pixel problems, and you need a pixel fix by a professional, or done DIY with aN LCD display pixel repair KIT - a silver or a carbon cable. How can we improve the quality of the LCD displays and the ribbon cables? Well if you assemble the LCD with the ribbon cable with pressure, no heat bonding, then the pixels of the BMW LCD display will work for an unlimited time. Dashboard LCD displays work on high temperature, so it is the best to avoid using the heat bonding procedure. Pixel repair DIY, or pixel fix by a professional?
The LCD display repair ribbon cable KIT is available in silver cable and in carbon cable version. Once the BMW dashboard instrument cluster LCD display pixel failure was properly repaired, the BMW speedometer display will work as new, the silver ribbon cable and the LCD will work for good in the speedometer.
BMW speedo 62.11-6-906-122, 110.008.784/213
Is it really a pixel failure or just a dead bulb behind the display?
It is easy to distinguish:
- If the bulbs are out behind the display, then all the rows and colunms do work on the BMW speedometer LCD display, but the background light of the LCD display is uneven, or some cases the BMW LCD display is completely dark. This case no need to repair the pixels, you do not need a silver or carbon ribbon cable, nor a new LCD display. This case you just need to buy the lightbulbs that provide light behind the BMW LCD display.
- If the BMW speedometer LCD display has really pixel problems, then typically lines or colunms of the display are missing. Several cases the characters are broken, numbers and letters shown on the speedometer display are unreadable - tha backlight is even. In case of a real pixel problem, when one or more pixels are missing from the display, you need to buy a silver ribbon cable, a carbon ribbon cable, or some cases a complete BMW LCD display. It really depends on that if it is a BMW, a Mercedes, and Audi, Saab or other make, and of course if it a MID display, a speedometer, a board computer or other LCD dipslay. Most cases, when you have a pixel failure, and you decide to repiar it, it's really worth to buy a set of bulbs too, as bulbs tend to go out during repair - this is due to the massive mechanical shocks experienced during the pixel repair procedure.
Can I do the pixel repair of my BMW speedometer at home? How about tools?
Well, most of the BMW pixel repair KITs we sell are designed to be simple and easy to use. The word easy should now be the subject of further discussion. An average BMW speedometer LCD display pixel repair is far more difficult then replacing a lightbulb. You definitely have to have good mechnical skills, and some household tools, such as nippers, screewdrivers, household tape, and other goodies to fix things around the house.
If you have to ask one of these questions, then you definitly should NOT do a BMW speedometer LCD display pixel repair at home (we were asked these questions before, this is not a joke):
- Which way should I turn the screwdriver to undo the screw?
- What is a display?
- How do I find the LCD thing in my BMW?
- How do I glue the LCD into the dashboard?
- Is it as easy as replacing a lightbulb?
Is it coming from China, or is it a high quality product coming from a proper factory?
Well, Pixelfix is an internationally registered trademark. Pixelfix only sells the highest quality BMW speedometer silver ribbon cables, that are capable of lifetime operation. We sell most of our repairs with lifetime warranty, and you will find the exact same displays, cables, and other spare parts that we use for professional repairs. The silver ribbon cables we use for BMW E38 E39 M5 X5 LCD display pixel repair are real silver, which is a very expensive base material, that is why the price is much higher compared to carbon ribbon cables. We also sell carbon ribbon cables, but the motivation to produce carbon cables for BMW LCD dispaly repair was only to be able to compete pricewise with the cheap chinese ribbon cables, which you may also buy for LCD dispay pixel repair on Ebay, but with a significantly worse or completely useless final result.
I ordered a BMW speedometer LCD display pixel repair kit today, when will I receive it?
You may keep an eye on your package, if you ordered the BMW LCD dispaly with postal delivery on you may check the status on your local post office's website, or if you ordered next day deliver then you need to see TNT / FedEx or DHL tracking site for status.
I started the repair, but I do not seem to deal with it:
No worries, we do provide technical support, and help repairing of your BMW speedometer LCD display. We have been repairing these BMW display units for years, we made hundreds of BMW speedometer repairs, so we can provide tecnical support very effectively - on the phone, via skype, via e-amil or whichever you prefer. Please note that you need to book an appointment, but it is completely free of charge.
I replaced the silver ribbon cable, but still there is nothing on the BMW LCD's screen:
No worries, this symtom can be due to a bagatel problem which is easy to fix. If there are no pixels on the BMW instrument cluster's display at all, that MUST be due to one of the followings:
- the contacts of the BMW LCD display or the panel are not perfectly clean - this case there is no contact between the BMW LCD display and the panel
- either the BMW LCD display or the silver ribbon cable was mounted in the wrong direction, so the contacts are on the wrong side
- the alignment of the silver ribbon cable is no good, so the pads of the silver ribbon cable do not match the pads of the BMW LCD display or panel.
I started the repair, but it seems to beyond my technical skills:
Let's talk about the worst case scenario, you started the repair, but you do not seem to deal with the repair of the BMW instrument cluster's display. This case we have a backup solution. We always stand behind our customers, so You may send the BMW speedometer LCD display unit to us for repair, and no matter what the condition of the unit is, we can help. More perecisely, up to this point we always succeeded, meaning none of our customers managed to do such a damage in the unit that we could not fix. The repair does not cost a fortune, in a lucky case it is 20-30 Euro plus return delivery cost only.